Friday, May 30, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend, 2008

I'll try to go into more details soon, but it's taken me this long just to get some pictures up. The weekend was spectacular - clear, not too hot, low humidity, cool at night, and with a cooler stocked with beer & wine. Best summer start ever...

asian baby backs 011 (Large)

The Moskowitz's.....

asian baby backs 010 (Large)

Jesse, waiting for an accident.

asian baby backs 013 (Large)

Asian babybacks, from a Jean-Georges Vongrichten recipe. Boiled for 2 hours, then grilled. Not great, not bad.

roti chicken 004 (Large)

Finally got the Performer Rotisserie out of the box, for a cilantro-lime marinated bird.

roti chicken 005 (Large)

One hour later. I *love* the rotisserie, didn't need the counterweight at all, and am impressed with its solid feel. The bird was quite good, but we were waiting for friends to come over and had to let it sit a bit too long. The meat was still tender, but the skin was no longer crisp. Also, it was a 6-hour marinade. I'd like to try some basics that I've seen on the BBQ board - olive oil, salt and pepper. If I can make it as good as Sam's Club, I'll be thrilled.

roti chicken 009 (Large)

Mexican-style spare ribs, no sauce. Fairly good, but a choice made because I had the seasonings already on hand, and didn't want to have to go shopping.

 

This weekend, some flank steaks and beer can chicken. Another brisket has to be made soon by request, and I'm going to try a whole tenderloin roast this season, dangit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! First of all, I love your backyard. That has to be the best beer drinking patio around! Second, the food all looks great. I am glad to hear you had success with the rotisserie.

Unknown said...

Thanks! Now you know where most of Jack's college fund went. ; )