Sunday, December 16, 2007

Success!

The turkey fry sans rub came out beautifully. The brown sugar in the brine added plenty of flavor to the skin, and the color was gorgeous. Usually the rub would make the bird come out pretty dark, looking burnt, although it never actually was.

After a 30 minute rest, it was still really hot. The mark of a good fry is that the thighs just twist right off the bird.

 

Meaty glory. Unfortunately the carcass did us no good, because we're leaving for Miami on Wednesday and there's still soup leftover from a roast chicken we did earlier this week. I think someone actually took it home for their own use. Just as well.

 

Unfortunately though, there was quite a bit of splatter from the oil on my patio - I'm hoping that it won't stain, but I know bluestone is quite porous. As it is, I can't see how bad it is, nor have I cleaned up the fryer, because everything is coated in half an inch of ice and slush. Although, we have a 3-pound chicken frozen since summer, as well as leftover brine and oil... There just might be one more fry to be done before vacation.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great! How did your skin experiment turn out?. Funny enough, for as long as I have owned a turkey fryer, I have used it for everything but that!

Unknown said...

I was so rushed I completely forgot about the skin experiment. But it still turned out crispy. My only problem now is all the oil splatter I have to figure out how to clean out of a Pennsylvania bluestone patio!