Friday, December 14, 2007

Wanna take a bath?

It's turkey-fry time! I'm trying out a recipe from Alton Brown where the brine is made from kosher salt and brown sugar, plus some ice to keep it cool. No rub or seasoning is put on the bird afterwards, which is a first for me. But honestly, most times I've fried a turkey, it's hard to tell if any of the rub even stays on, or if it boils right off.

Chrismukkah 2007

Either way, his recipe calls for starting the fry temp low and increasing it once the bird goes in. I'm going to stick with the 3-minutes-per-pound-plus-5 rule instead. Since the weather is going to be barely above freezing tomorrow, I'm going to try air-drying it for an hour or so before the putting it in the oil as I heard that helps the skin dry out for a good crisp when roasting, and I'm going to separate the skin from one breast side, to see how that affects the crisping as well. Have to experiment...

Once nice thing about it hitting only 20* tonight is that our porch steps make a perfect temporary fridge and freezer.

We're expecting 15-16 people tomorrow for our holiday party, also called Chrismukkah. Yes, we're religious mutts in this house.

Off to start cleaning the house. After almost two straight weeks of Chinese food, it's nice to get my fry on.

No comments: