Friday, July 13, 2007

Bats: they don't compare

Pest guys were out again today (kinda makes them sound like they're the pests). They determined that we are close enough to early-mid August, which is when baby bats make their way out of the nest to feed for themselves. So the decision is to wait for this to happen, then net again and spray them all out, and seal up... once again. If we do it now, we've got baby bats stuck in our house to, well, expire. That's not only 1) kinda sad, and 2) a source for some stench behind my bedpost, but 3) not particularly legal actually. Well, it is in the manner of getting them out of the house, but it can only be done by licensed pros, of which I am not one.

This means 4 more weeks or so of hanging out on the patio at dusk, and seeing how many bats we can count wiggle their way out of my soffets and shingles to hunt for the night. Interestingly, they each eat about 3 pounds of insects each night, so admittedly we have a pretty nice by-product of playing hotel to the colony - almost no bugs bothering us when we're outside.

I just need to convince the guests to kindly move next door.

Jack's fifth birthday party is tomorrow, first at a farm with all the friends, then back at the house for some family get-together. Plans are simple - grilled chicken pieces, burgers and dogs, with some homemade slaw, beans, and potato salad. Corn and Texas toast as well, I'm sure. Wife is out shopping for everything now. Not incredibly interesting, but fun enough with good people around.

Sadly, my next full weekend I can spend grilling/smoking is Labor Day, when I plan to put to use my latest purchase, the Smokenator. After seeing smoking temps way above normal with my last baby backs (though they turned out awesome still), this looks like a brilliant, geniusy idea to help control temps and moisture. I feel like reading up on smoking techniques is definitely helping me grow some knowledge on the practice, but I'm always up for some gadget to help me out too, especially for long-haul smoking like brisket. Can't wait to try it out!

Meanwhile, I'll be watching for pics on Mike's inspirational food blog. Anyone compelled enough to time out their grilling schedule is a man after my own heart. Grill on, my master-of-the-macro brother.

No comments: