Sunday, July 1, 2007

One happy grillguy

So seven hours into the smoking, the temp on the brisket just didn't get over 185. I fired up the gas grill and finished the brisket for about 20-30 minutes on a wire rack over a baking sheet. Got it to 195 as the recipe called for, and let it rest for 30 minutes. Sliced it up and fed wife, mom, son, and two friends the best brisket I have ever tasted. The BBQ sauce wasn't necessary because the meat was supposed to be more of a rub, but it was better than any sauce I've ever had, and was a perfect accompaniment. Grilled corn thanks to 2 hours in a slight salt brine was perfect, with some melted butter mixed with the BBQ sauce brushed on. I wanted to use the gas grill's side burner for cooking the sauce, which worked about 90% but either because of the total output of the burner, or the wind, I just couldn't bring the sauce to a good simmer unless on the inside oven. Once I got that going up to temp, I brought it back outside to finish. Total meal was absolutely fantastic, one of my best and favorites so far. Although wife thought the brisket was just a shy dry, to me it was cooked perfectly with a great crust and a tight meaty interior. I didn't think it was dry at all, and was more how I like ribs - not fall off the bone tender and falling apart, but with some body and chew to them without being dried out. This was cooked perfectly in my opinion, though next time I need larger wood chunks that don't burn out so quickly, and I'll know to have more pre-fired coals ready for the brisket - I actually filled a small chimney and got it going on the side burner to help bring the heat back up on the Performer; thought that was a nice little stroke of genius, for me at least.

I lay no claim to good cooking other than to following recipes, but what's important is having fun doing it and having friends and family enjoy it. Unfortunately, there is still quite a bit to clean up. That's what mornings are for... now, it's time for the fire pit.

Mise en place - I have to have ingredients all ready to go, otherwise I get too flustered and wind up burning things.

Ready for some sauce making. The burner was just less than the heat I really needed, but some help on the stove got things going.

A great tomato/vinegar sauce in the making, far from too syrupy sweet...

A cook's tools - timer, temp gauge, tongs, gloves, recipe, and radio.

Grills in action. Today made me realize two grills is a necessity and a blessing.

Warming butter for the corn on the 620.

First time I liked grilled corn, made on the Performer.

The brisket.

The me (with an apron colored by my son). Jessee wants, but he cannot have.

Better than a picture of me with the belt unbuckled and the button undone.

Today is the first time I felt like a real outdoor cook. I love, love, LOVE having both grills. I think I'm learning to like the charcoal Performer better as an overall grill, capable of generating searing heat as well as low-and-slow smoking, but just having access to the gas grill for use as a side burner and general great cooking outdoor surface is fantastic. A bit overpriced, but fantastic nonetheless. Still, when it comes time to grilling for next month's party of 20-25 people, the 620 will have proven its worth where the Performer just isn't big enough to accommodate everything. A great way to finish the weekend off... I am one happy dude.

Smoked ribs next weekend.

No comments: