Thursday, July 5, 2007

Feast or famine

Coleslaw, grilled corn, two types of burgers (steakhouse and "jucy lucy"), beans compliments of wife and Texas Toast compliments of Pepperidge farm... feast.

Chicago-style baby back ribs that were to be smoked on the Weber kettle and finished in an oven on a wire rack over a baking sheet with some water for moisture, covered in foil... famine. I didn't realise the foil was supposed to cover the whole baking sheet, so all the moisture that was to go into the ribs, went into the air.

Not the July 4th BBQ-fest I had hoped for, but everything else was still really tasty. I'd offer pics, but the only appropriate one would have been taken as the rubs were dumped into the trashcan.

Oddly, my dad asked me today if there were any left. They actually tasted good, like spiced jerky. OK, more like spiced hockey puck.

I'll try again this weekend, but since the baby backs always seemed to be sold in pairs, one will go into the oven, and one in the gas grill. I'd also like to know if one rack could just be finished on the kettle after smoking for a few hours; maybe next weekend...

No comments: