Sunday, July 1, 2007

Halfway mark

Just added 10 more coals and flipped the brisket. Starting to get some nice charring on there - this is a Texas-style brisket with more of a rub than sauce, though I will be making one later.

I was worried that after the first hour or so, there was no more smoke coming out of the vents. I'm hoping that there was still some in there flavoring the mean but just not coming out. Still, anytime I see a show on BBQ, there's always a lot of smoke. For a first try, hopefully it won't be too bad. I flipped over one chunk which seemed to help a bit, but the other two were already pretty charred over.

Right before flipping.

Mmmm.... charrry....

Some new coals and a turned chunk will hopefully make up for 2 hours without visible smoke.

I threaded an instant thermometer through the top vents to let me know when the brisket reaches 195, as it could take 2-4 more hours, and I don't want to blow my first shot completely and overcook the poor thing.

Off for some food shopping!

No comments: