Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Guess what? Chicken Butt.

Had a nice weekend off. Sunday and Monday were spent in the Poconos where my Uncle has been building and renovating a cabin for 30 years or so. Aunt made a great whole tenderloin, and my cousin and I contributed grilled potatoes that needed about 30 more minutes on the grill, and lightly grilled romaine lettuce. There's nothing like crisp mountain air on a cloudless day to do a person good.

But Saturday we had some friends over and Wife asked if I would grill something. I wanted to do a tri-tip, but the butcher was sold out. Mental note - don't go food shopping around noon on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. So I picked up 2 fryer chickens, some asparagus, corn, and hamburger meat, and started prepping. I've learned that there isn't a whole lot that needs to be prepped for beer can chicken, and I made a bunch of seasoning a few chickens ago so it's always on hand.

I'm slowly learning how to manage the temperatures correctly...

So that I get results like this.

The 620 with a burger for the kid, grilled corn basting in a butter/BBQ sauce, and marinated asparagus.

Mmmm, corn....

Some olive oil, lemon juice, pressed garlic and minced rosemary does wonders for asparagus. You almost can't leave it on the grill long enough, because it tastes good even when charred.

Had some leftover challah bread and an idea...

 

For Jewish Toast. It was a little stale to start and not as tasty as the frozen stuff, and it may not be the best bread for a Texas toast substitute, but I'd like to try it again with fresher bread.

With some time off this weekend too, I'm looking to try my hand at some grilled pizza. Salud!

No comments: