Sunday, September 30, 2007

Patio party

Our patio party yesterday came off really well. Everyone we invited made it, the weather was unbelievable, though a bit windy, and there was more food and drink than we knew what to do with. I guess that means we did it right.

I set up the Smokenator as such, with two racks on the bottom grate and a 6-rib rack on top. Temperatures fluctuated between 220 and 300 the whole time, and I was feeding it a lot of new, already-lit coals. I was ready to ditch the whole thing and just pile some charcoal inside the kettle, but fortunately I planned enough time for something to go wrong, and in the end was able to get the ribs off in time. They were tender but still meaty, great flavor too. The only downside was that I didn't have time to get that back membrane off like I usually do, and it really needed to have been removed. Still, they were a hit.

As I told my guests, this is why you have a big grill. This is all the chicken we marinated overnight in Mojo sauce. Cheap and easy, and a world of flavor when you let it sit in the marinade for at least 12 hours. I'd even recommend going 24 hours - ours went about 18. It's so juicy and flavorful, and cheap. Sometimes, store bought is good. And, although the skin looks burnt, it was really tasty and crispy.

Burgers, dogs, fresh Jersey corn, and some chorizo sausage in case a grown-up wanted something a little different.

      

More pics of festivities - the bounce room was some of the best $200 ever spent three years ago. Who doesn't like to bounce?

What was nice was that even with kids, some people stayed until about 8, so we were able to get the firepit going when it was about 60 degrees. That is the best way to end the night for me - food, fire, and drinks. In all I think we had 24 people over - our largest party yet. And I've got all four October weekends open - probably a first. So I guess it's time to work on beating the numbers....

No comments: