Sunday, September 16, 2007

I. Love. Fall.

OK, it's not really fall yet, but it's been a fantastic couple of days here in central NJ, with sunny skies, low humidity, and highs in the 60's and low 70's. I can't think of any better weather to spend a few hours outside, firepit a'blazing, and ribs a'smoking. Son and I played some golf this morning, right after I seasoned some baby back ribs I bought yesterday and threw them in the fridge. The kettle temps were kinda high, mostly around 400 degrees,and I forgot to soak my wood chunks so they smoked out pretty quickly. I also didn't brine these ribs, which my favorite recipe says to do.

They were a bit over done, I will admit. Certainly low and slow is the best way to go, but I also needed to feed the family at a reasonable hour. I may try again next Sunday, as on the last Saturday of the month we're having a pretty big patio party here, and my goal is to have a couple racks of ribs to serve as an accompaniment to your basic burgers, dogs, and chicken dishes. Those are easy to cook but don't impress friends much. And I'm looking for an ego boost.

No comments: