Monday, August 6, 2007

Seven hours later...

Well, it wound up taking seven hours before my wife and I decided it was time to eat. I could not believe how well the Smokenator worked, but I guess I was not ready for ribs done at such a low temp and figuring the amount of time they would take. Had they been started in the morning, this would not have been a problem. But I started at 2:30 pm and just couldn't wait to eat any longer.

smokenator 008

I was easily able to hold the temp around 220 the whole time with very little vent management. But these two baby backs were on the heavy side to start with, and I'm thinking that next time I'm going to let the temp hover around 250-275. They didn't get any crisping from the dry rub, and even after 7 hours when I picked them up, they bent, but the meat did not pull away.

When I'm ready to try a brisket, this will be great. But next time for ribs I need to accelerate things a bit. I'm definitely a believer in the product though - you use very few briquettes overall, and the control really is amazing.

After such a long wait, I owed wife some dessert. Thanks to a good friend I visited the weekend before in Cleveland (hi Matt!), I learned that pineapples are actually something worth eating... as long as they're soaked in coconut milk, sprinkled with turbinado sugar, and grilled for a bit longer than I did them.

smokenator 007smokenator 009

Not much is as pretty as a blue flame at night. I also learned that the grill lights on the Summit are pretty useful, as they do light up the front 2/3rd's of the grill quite nicely, especially since my grill is set up such that the patio light is directly behind the cover. Have to work a bit more on that dessert, but it's the only time I'll willingly eat pineapples.

No comments: