Friday, August 17, 2007

Brisket prep

At 10pm tonight, I just finished rinsing the brisket and scoring the fat cap. Alarm is set for 5am to get it into the brine for two hours... hopefully I'll actually wake up before 6am (pinched spinal nerve + pain killers & muscle relaxants = tired grillguy).

My wood chunks are soaking as of now as well.

Tomorrow I'll brine some corn for the grill, and the rest of the menu should be:

  • Grilled goat cheese garlic toasts
  • Asparagus with goat cheese and rosemary
  • Smoked potatoes
  • Texas-style BBQ sauce

If all goes as planned, it should turn out better than my first (and only other) attempt at smoked brisket. Much of the main menu points are the same. This time though, I want to start earlier and let the whole thing finish in the kettle, as opposed to having to heat it in the grill to get to temperature. Hence the way-too-early start time.

Plus, I've got the pinched nerve, which does make maneuvering a little painful. What we do for good Q....

No comments: