Saturday, August 11, 2007

An hour or so later...

Target temperature was reached, but I was again unhappy with the charring. Not sure if I used too much rub or not, but thinking back to my first brisket, that was what I was hoping for - great char on the outside, awesome tender flavor on the inside. So, I took some quick action:

Some new coals at the ready, I put them down so I could finish the tri tip over some direct heat and get some searing. Worked pretty well after 10 minutes or so:

And I can't complain with the results:

My first smoke ring!

 

It smells a bit like jerky with the seasonings in the rub, but tastes pretty darn good. I think it would actually go better with some BBQ sauce, which I may whip up tonight. It is a very beefy-tasting cut of meat, and seems to be able to take some strong flavors. I'm not sure if searing last helped the smoke penetrate better or not, but it does have a smokey taste - I wound up using cherry wood instead of mesquite, just for kicks.

All in all, not bad for two hours work. Back to cleaning.

No comments: