Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Mmmm... steak...

One of my favorite magazines/cooking shows comes from Cook's Illustrated and its derivatives (America's Test Kitchen on PBS, Cook's Country magazine). They take a recipe and make it dozens of times to perfect it, at least in their opinion. They recently reviewed steaks, trying to determine which is best - mail order filet mignon (my favorite cut along with flank steak), or the stuff from the supermarket. They chose the latter because of the value; prepared properly, even supermarket filet mignon can be pretty good.

But they had as their top pick the steak from Lobel's. We've ordered a few times from them and I've even had a few conversations with one of the Lobel's family. They are great butchers and what they sell is unmatched, at least from what I've tasted. But you pay for it. And you pay a lot. So I don't order it more than once a year, but when I do... it's better than almost any steak house I've ever been to (save El Gaucho in Seattle). When the new grill is connected, it will be my inaugural steak.

Anyway, check them out: www.lobels.com. Nice people, knowledgeable cooks, great food.

No comments: